Sunday, August 26, 2012

Blacken Java Library update

So, when I put Blacken to the side, I had posted code, but I was unhappy with it and I was feeling pretty down with the whole thing overall.

Not so anymore. I ran across someone speaking relatively highly about it. It encouraged me to fix it. I have someone developing it with me now. I have other people writing games using it.

Next month we release Blacken 1.1. It stomps all over the 1.0 release.

I'm planning to start writing an in-depth "Developing a Roguelike Game with Blacken" tutorial after the release.

(I'm putting aside NaNoWriMo this year to work on it. I've loved NaNoWriMo, but I need to finish the first pass of big edits to my first book and... well, so far it hasn't happened. I am committed that my next NaNoWriMo related task will be to replan and rewrite my first book. It'll be mostly a rewrite, but the bones are good. I'll be keeping the good things.)

So, yeah... major changes in priorities, but these things happen periodically. As they say, "Life is change."

This actually marks the second year with a Blacken release, as I released it to the community about a year ago next month. I actually expect 2012 to see a second release, as well, as I'm planning 1.2 to be a release to fix the nits that crop up while writing the tutorial.

1 comment:

Gio said...

Yo! I just recently found your "blacken" library, and your goals for the project seem to jive perfectly with what Im looking for, especially with regards to xterm.

I know I'm replying to a two-year-old blog post, but you seem to be reasonably alive so I figured I'd give you a heads up and a thanks. =)